- Roy Rogers slides into Place
- â€śMusic is about communicating whatever soul or whatever power you have within you with other people,â€ť Rogers said. â€śIt takes two. You donâ€™t just play for yourself. For me, music is one of the most powerful forces in the world to communicate to people. Period.â€ť [Read More...]
- 'Chops Not Chaps' Roy Rogers & The Delta Rhythm Kings Rock The Blues
- Slide guitarist Roy Rogers and his band play their blues at full force. There's not much that's traditional or laid back about their music.
"It's a fasten-your-seat-belts-and-let-it-all-hang-out kind of thing," Rogers says. "We rock up the blues and cover a range of songs. I always tell people to bring their dancing shoes because we like to stretch out." [Read More...]
- Slide Guitar King; Roy Rogers and The Delta Rhythm Kings Perform in Carson City
- On Saturday, Rogers will bring his own band, the Delta Rhythm Kings, to Carson City in a benefit for the Comstock Residents Association, a group with a stated mission to "preserve and protect the Virginia City National Historic Landmark and its historic communities of Gold Hill, Silver City, Dayton and Virginia City, " which they say is threatened by open pit surface mining. [Read More...]
- Door's Keyboardist founding member Ray Manzarek dies at 74
- By The Associated Press
Ray Manzarek, a founding member of the 1960s rock group The Doors, died May 20, 2013, in Rosenheim, Germany, after being stricken with bile duct cancer. He was 74.
Manzarekâ€™s versatile and often haunting keyboards complemented the gloomy baritone of The Doorsâ€™ lead singer, Jim Morrison, and helped to set the mood for some of rockâ€™s most enduring songs.
- Ray Manzarek, 74, Keyboardist and a Founder of the Doors, is Dead.
- Ray Manzarek, who as the keyboardist and a songwriter for the Doors helped shape one of the indelible bands of the psychedelic era, died on Monday at a clinic in Rosenheim, Germany. He was 74.
The cause was bile duct cancer, according to his manager, Tom Vitorino. Mr. Manzarek lived in Napa, Calif.
- Slide king Roy Rogers hits Harrahs
- Slide guitar great Roy Rogers will bring his unmistakable style to South Lake Tahoe this weekend, playing Harrahâ€™s South Shore Room Saturday night.
Roy Rogers has been a blues man almost as long as he can remember. Born in Redding, Calif., in 1950, Rogers became immersed in the genre at a young age, finding blues roots in the developing folk and rock music scenes. [Read More...]
- NPR's Morning Edition Host Bob Edwards Interviews Roy Rogers
- Thought you all might enjoy this NPR interview of Roy Rogers - who happened to be in the studio with Rolling Stone's keybordist Chuck Leavell
at NPR in D.C. years ago - a great exchange and a really fun interview by the great journalist and music fan Bob Edwards in 2002. Enjoy!
- Ray Manzarek (The Doors) & Roy Rogers: An Evening of Music & Rock & Roll Tales
- Concert impresario Bill Graham would be proud of this one. Swell Productions is psyched to announce for one night only: Ray Manzarek (The Doors) & Roy Rogers: An Evening of Music & Rock & Roll Tales. Sacramento's acclaimed new duo, Electropoetic Coffee (guitarist Ross Hammond and poet/singer NSAA) will open the night.
The legendary co-founder of The Doors, keyboardist and member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Ray Manzarek and the critically acclaimed slide/blues guitarist Roy Rogers have put their artistic minds together and created a captivating new concert experience.
The much emulated keyboard technique of Ray Manzarek and Roy Rogers' solid guitar work carry the day. Amazing new takes on Doors classics like "The Crystal Ship" and "Riders On The Storm", as well as other blues/jazz/classical tracks define the level of musicianship that each of these award winning composers/producers/performers display. Not foreign to the classics, the two visit Eric Satie's "Gnossienne No. 1." Roy is one of the genre's premier slide guitarists, a two time Grammy Award Nominee, and well known for his exciting live performances with John Lee Hooker, Norton Buffalo, and The Delta Rhythm Kings.
What was Jim Morrison really like? The charismatic story-telling Manzarek will share his personal insights and rock n' roll tales as a unique part of this concert! There will be a mic in the aisle for audience questions. A very special evening of music and spoken word.
- New direction for slide guitarist Roy Rogers - Marin Independent-Journal
- New direction for slide guitarist Roy Rogers - Marin Independent-Journal Blues musician Roy Rogers, who once lived in Novato and has garnered critical acclaim for his work with the slide guitar, found rich material in his life ...and more [Read More...]